Applications are invited from rural NSW towns for the NSW Healthy Town Challenge 2020
• Applications open Friday 22 November 2019
• Applications close Monday 13 January 2020
• The Challenge will take place from 10 February to 11 September 2020
Towns that meet the following criteria are eligible to apply:
1. Total population between 1,000 to 15,000 people in the 2016 census
2. Located outside of the Sydney Metropolitan area, as outlined in the Regional Development Regulation 2012
Towns may submit joint applications with adjacent towns and satellite townships if they do not meet the population requirement or share local services such as health facilities.
Through a competitive process, five towns are selected to participate in the challenge. They are offered a seed grant of $15,000 to develop and implement strategies that focus on improving the lifestyle of individuals and establishing local policies and infrastructure to support healthier behaviours within their community.
Towns have six months to bring their proposed project to life, with additional support from both NSW Office of Preventive Health and the Heart Foundation NSW. The town that wins the challenge is awarded a prize of $5,000 to continue their efforts.