Current Program Direction
Overview of Current Program Directions - Healthy Children Initiative
Munch & Move
- Munch & Move will continue to provide training and implementation support to early childhood education and care (ECEC) services across all Local Health Districts. Program training is now delivered through an accessible, self-paced eLearning training package, which was launched in April 2019.
- Munch & Move are continuing to provide and evaluate a number of professional development opportunities to support sustainable program implementation for ECEC services, including
o Healthy Eating and Active Play conferences for service leaders
o Healthy Menu Planning workshops for service cooks and leaders
- Munch & Move have strengthened the accessibility and scope of the program resources by developing fact sheets for Aboriginal families, in addition to creating new resources to enhance breastfeeding support and fundamental movement skill development across the ECEC sector.
- Munch & Move is working with an early childhood communication app for ECEC services, to include links to Munch & Move resources and information for services and families. Munch & Move are also working to strengthen relationships with large ECEC service providers and training organisations across NSW.
- The development of the Munch & Move Quality Framework in 2018, along with a 2018/19 evaluation of implementation in family day care services, are paving the way for continually improving, best practice program delivery across NSW.
• Ongoing delivery of the Go4Fun programs: standard Go4Fun, Aboriginal Go4Fun and Go4Fun Online
• Implementation of a state-wide communications and marketing strategy
• Launch of the new Go4Fun website with improved functionality and design
• Development and trial of a post-program support model for families
• Continued clinical engagement work to increase referrals from health professionals
• Quality improvement activities across the state
• Continued professional development and networking opportunities for Go4Fun staff
Live Life Well @ School
- Ongoing training and implementation support to primary schools across all Local Health Districts.
- Online professional learning for teachers on the Live Life Well @ School program accredited by the NSW Education Standards Authority
- Review and refresh of the Live Life Well @ School program which includes: Quality Framework development; Review of the evidence for primary school based childhood obesity prevention strategies and a subsequent review of the desirable practices; Qualitative research – LHD & Schools interviews; Program rebranding and new platform development.
Crunch & Sip
- Big Vegie Crunch (Vegetable week) held in March
- Fruit & Veg Month held in September
NSW Healthy School Canteen Strategy
- Continued focus on supporting all public schools to be meeting the requirements of the Healthy School Canteen Strategy by 31 December 2019 with non-government schools encouraged to participate.
- Ongoing implementation support to primary schools across all Local Health Districts
- Ongoing implementation support to secondary schools through the Secondary School Support Service
- Continued monitoring and recognition of schools meeting the Strategy through the use of the Menu Check Service
- Continued professional development and networking opportunities for LHD health promotion officers supporting the Healthy School Canteen Strategy
- Quality improvement of existing tools and resources and development of new resources as required.
Finish With The Right Stuff
- Ongoing delivery of the program across NSW to support healthier food and drink options in junior community sports. The key focus is tailored support to participating clubs.
- Online, self-paced training for key club contacts and club canteen managers on how to make changes to their club
- Partnerships with key State Sporting Organisations to promote the program’s key messages. This includes the key sporting events, social media presence and use of Ambassadors. Upcoming partnerships will also include policy.
- Quality assurance activities to all program components will further improve reach.
Out of School Hours Care
NESA accreditation of the Online professional learning modules available to educators in the Out of School hours Care sector based on the Eat Smart Play Smart manual.